by: Chip Skambis Updated:
WINTER PARK, Fla. - A fire charred the roof and exterior of a dry cleaner and restaurant in a Winter Park shopping plaza late Saturday, firefighters said.
The Winter Park Fire Department responded to the blaze at 847 S. Orlando Ave. around 11:50 p.m. to find a fire on the roof of the shopping plaza building near the intersection with Fairbanks.
Watch: Winter Park shopping plaza roof fire
Moe's Southwest Grill employees at the plaza who were leaving work saw smoke and called the Fire Department, firefighters said.
Firefighters said the fire started with a malfunctioning neon sign at American Cleaners and spread to the roof of the building.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze around 12:30 a.m.
© 2017 Cox Media Group.
Neon sign sets Winter Park shopping plaza roof on fire, firefighters say
Orange County school bus shot at by pellet gun, police say
AT&T ‘glitch' leaves many Access Lynx riders unable to schedule pickups
DNA expert testifies in downtown Orlando security guard's murder trial
OPD officer flees when pickup truck catches fire after crashing into 408…