Documents reveal new details about Windermere officer's killing



WINDERMERE, Fla. - Channel 9 has obtained documents that offer new insight into what happened the night a Windermere police officer was killed in the line of duty earlier this year.

In March, Officer Robert German was shot and killed after stopping two teenagers while on patrol on Horizon Court and Conroy Windermere Road.

Windermere Police Chief David Ogden discussed the newly-released report with Eyewitness News.

"We met with the investigators. We were aware the report was coming out," said Ogden.

Brandon Goode, 18, and his girlfriend, Alexandra Hollinghurst, took their own lives after killing the officer, authorities said, though it's still unclear which teen shot German.

The final report was released Tuesday with more than 270 pages of details.

"To be honest with you I'm pretty pissed at it. Officer German was a good cop," said Ogden.

New details show that as German got out of his patrol car, surveillance video shows Goode rise to his feet at the moment the officer was shot on the left side of his head.

However, due to the poor lighting, there is no way to know whether Goode was the one to pull the trigger.

The report says Goode then shot himself two minutes after that and that Hollinghurst shot herself 45 seconds later. Her body was found lying on top of Goode's.

The day before the tragedy, both teens were reported missing from their Polk County homes. When detectives tried to search Goode's home, they were denied access by his mother who was advised not to let them in by a family member who said she was in law enforcement.

"To find out that one of the parents didn't cooperate and to find out a sworn law enforcement officer gave guidance to not cooperate with police," said Ogden. "Yeah, I'm real disheartened."

At that time, law enforcement didn't realize a gun was missing from the home, which was later determined to be the gun used to kill German.

Had officers been allowed to search the home, German would have known the teens were armed before he stopped them, according to Channel 9's Kristyn Caddell.