• Propane tank causes small explosion, fire inside car port


    ORLANDO, Fla. - A propane tank exploded and started a fire inside the carport of an Orlando home, fire officials said.

    Orlando Fire Department officials said the explosions came from the embers of a barbecue grill that was left out, which ignited the propane tank.

    There were other propane tanks in the car port and fire officials said the damage could have been a lot worse.

    “It appears that there were five propane cylinders. Some were empty, some were full. One was lit off when we got here," said Joe McCluan, with the Orlando Fire Department. “For us firefighters we certainly face the problem of having extra tanks, though. If one of them were to explode then the others could explode as well.”

    The car port was the only damaged part of the house.

    Officials said two people were inside the house at the time of the explosion and escaped safely.

    Next Up: