Teen who nearly died after eating contaminated cantaloupe speaks out



BREVARD COUNTY, Fla. - A Brevard County teenager who helped bring about the Food Safety Modernization Act told WFTV she wanted to know why the federal law isn't being fully implemented.

Dana Dziadul, 14, said she nearly died from a food-borne illness at the age of 3.

Dziadul said she ate a cantaloupe imported from Mexico that was contaminated with a type of salmonella.

She and her family told WFTV imported produce needs to be held to the same safety standards as American-grown produce.

"It's important to me because I don't want people to get sick like I did," said Dziadul.

The Obama Administration's Office of Budget and Management said, "When it comes to rules, with this degree of importance and complexity, it is critical that we get it right."