National Nurses Week started Wednesday, and if ever there was a year to celebrate health care workers, this one is it.
Restaurants and retailers are offering deals and freebies to nurses this year as they man the frontlines in the fight against the COVID-19 virus.
The annual celebration, which continues until Tuesday, honors health care professionals in all fields.
Here are some deals and freebies for nurses and health care professionals this year.
(Note: Not every retailer may be honoring the deals, so be sure to check with local stores to confirm which deals are available before you go.)
- Airbnb: Airbnb is providing free or subsidized temporary housing for health care professionals, relief workers and first responders. Amazon: Amazon is offering free Kindle nursing books.
- Aldi: Aldi is allowing any medical professionals, with identification, immediate access to the front of any lines that may form outside their stores.
- BJ's Wholesale Club: BJ’s is offering multiple benefits to health care workers and first responders, including shopping without a BJ's membership at all locations during their designated Appreciation Hours, a free four-month Inner Circle membership.
- BP/Amoco Gas: BP is offering a single-use discount code for 50 cents off per gallon on a BP or Amoco fuel purchase.Chipotle: Health care workers can get a free burrito starting Wednesday. Sign up on their website to be eligible for the giveaway.
- Circle K: Circle K is offering free coffee, tea and Polar Pops to health care workers, first responders and to their frontline store employees.
- Crocs: Crocs is giving away free shoes to health care workers Monday – Friday at noon on their website. The number of free pairs is limited each day. The sign-up form will ask for your work email, state, facility name, preferences for shoes and shipping information.
- Dunkin': Dunkin’ is offering a free medium hot or iced coffee and a free doughnut to all health care workers who visit participating Dunkin’ restaurants Wednesday.
- Great Wolf Lodge: Great Wolf Lodge has pledged to donate up to 10,000 complimentary overnight stays to nurses confronting the COVID-19 outbreak. Through May 12, every room booked under the code THANKYOU will give a room to a registered nurse and unlock a significant discount for guests of up to 50% off for stays starting July 6 through Oct. 29, 2020.
- Hooters: Hooters is offering 20% off all takeout orders every day for health care workers, first responders and military until further notice. A valid form of ID is required.
- Krispy Kreme: Krispy Kreme is giving away a free dozen doughnuts to health care workers every Monday through May 11.
- Mrs. Fields: Mrs. Fields is offering 25% off their Heroes Collection. Got to the website for more information.
- Nike: Nike is offering a 20% discount for eligible medical professionals and first responders. See details on their website.
- O'Charley's: Get 25% off if you are a first responder or health care worker. The offer is valid for call-in or carry-out with a valid ID or badge.
- Outback: Outback is offering a 10% discount for nurses, doctors, medical staff, first responders and military.
- Sheetz: Sheetz is offering free coffee through June 1 to responders and health care workers "in appreciation of their commitment to our health and safety as they fight on the frontlines of the COVID-19 crisis."
- Snickers: Snickers is offering to send essential workers a coupon for a free Snickers bar. Redeem the coupon at Walmart.
- Steak 'n Shake: Get free fries at the Steak 'n Shake drive-thru only if you are a health care provider. Steak ‘n Shake is offering the fries to health care workers, first responders and customers.
- Talkspace: Talkspace is offering a month of free therapy for doctors, nurses, social workers and frontline workers.
- The North Face: The North Face is offering a 50% discount to health care workers until December 31.
- Waterloo Sparkling Water: Waterloo will be giving away 500 free 8-pack/12-pack case coupons to nurses and health care workers for Nurses Week. Starting Wednesday, go to Waterloo’s Instagram and Facebook page and comment for a chance to win. Winners will be chosen at random.