CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — Have you ever dreamed of going to space? Well, for $125,000, you can make that dream a reality.
Florida space flight company Space Perspective is taking reservations on its Spaceship Neptune for flights in early 2024.
The Spaceship Neptune consists of a balloon that measures the length of a football stadium. Attached to it is a pressured capsule that will carry up to eight passengers.
The six-hour trip will include a two-hour ascent above 100,000 feet, two hours for passengers to enjoy 360-degree views from the spaceship before making a two-hour descent to the ocean, where it will splash down. A ship will then arrive to bring the passengers back to shore.
The company said explorers will sit in a “pressurized, roomy capsule, where every seat is the best seat in the house” while sipping on a beverage of their choice.
Explorers can book individual seats or the whole capsule.
The company is working toward three Florida launch sites in Jacksonville, the Kennedy Space Center and the Space Coast Air and Spaceport in Titusville.
“It’s incredibly smooth and gentle going to space at 12 miles per hour,” said Jane Poynter, the co-CEO of Space Perspective. “You’re going to get cycling speed to space so everything about this is smooth and gentle.”
Here’s what’s included in the trip, according to the company:
- Nine reclining, plush seats, for eight Space Explorers and a pilot.
- 360-degree panoramic windows.
- Refreshments bar and cabinet for belongings.
- Lavatory below the main deck.
- Wi-Fi connection, with communications devices to enable live streaming.
- Non-glare windows for excellent photography from inside the capsule.
- Sensors showing altitude, wind, and temperature throughout the flight.
- Instrument trunk on the capsule’s roof and below deck for research equipment.
- Splashdown Cone at base allows for smooth landing on the water.
If you have the cash to spare for a once-in-a-lifetime trip, you can make your reservation here.
©2021 Cox Media Group