Driver: Her face was 'priceless' when man has pizza delivered to check on grandma after hurricane

PALM COAST, Fla. — Family members spread across three states are breathing a sigh of relief after a woman’s grandson called a Papa John’s in Palm coast to deliver a pizza to her home -- and check up on her -- after Hurricane Matthew.

Claire Olsen’s family waited for days to find out if their 87-year-old mother and grandmother had survived Hurricane Matthew.

The only Papa John’s in Flagler County received a delivery call from someone in Nebraska, with specific instructions for the delivery person.

Pizza delivery man Lance Tyler said that when he grabbed the pizza destined for Parkway Drive over the weekend, he had no idea of the payoff he was about to receive.

"It was quite a surprise for me," Tyler said.

The surprise started with a man named Eric, who called in the order from Nebraska.

Tyler knocked on Olsen’s door. Olsen was reluctant to answer, thinking the person on the other side of the door could have been a scammer, because she didn’t order a pizza.

"He knocked on the door and said 'Delivery.' I said, 'I didn't order anything.' He says, 'Your grandson did,'" said Olsen.

When Tyler got to the neighborhood, he pulled out the box and read the receipt.

As it turned out, there were some special instructions, including a phone number to call.

"The way that he answered the phone, 'Is she there? Is she OK?' It sounded like he was worried," Tyler said.

Olsen said she has weathered her share of hurricanes, but she's never had a pizza delivery man put his cellphone to her ear to talk to her grandson.

"(My grandson said) ‘Grandma, I haven't talked to you in two days. I got worried about you. You must be hungry by now," said Olsen.

Olsen said her pepperoni pizza was “fantastic” and much appreciated.

Tyler said it topped every tip he's ever received.

"Her expression was just priceless. It was like, 'Wow!' said Tyler.

But even with every topping on the menu, she said nothing in the box could ever have been as good as a grandson who cared enough to order her a pizza.

Olsen's phone has since been reconnected.

Olsen said she made a lot of phone calls as soon as it was back on to let everyone else know she's alright.