Ryan Newman’s father says he’s glad his son is home and walking days after fiery Daytona 500 crash

NASCAR driver Ryan Newman was released from the hospital Wednesday afternoon after being hospitalized following a fiery crash during the final lap of the Daytona 500 Monday left him with serious injuries.

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — NASCAR driver Ryan Newman was released from the hospital Wednesday afternoon after being hospitalized following a fiery crash during the final lap of the Daytona 500 Monday left him with serious injuries.

His racing team, Roush Fenway Racing, made the announcement on Twitter Wednesday, along with a photo of Newman walking out of Halifax Health Medical Center holding hands with his daughters.

Ryan Newman’s father told Channel 9 off camera that he is glad is son is home and walking.

Content Continues Below

Newman’s wife, Krissie Newman, posted video of him walking out of the hospital Wednesday afternoon with the caption “Best sight ever.”

Earlier in the day, his racing team said Newman was up and walking around the hospital.

“True to his jovial nature, he has also been joking around with staff, friends and family while spending time playing with his two daughters,” Newman’s racing team said in a tweet.

The update comes a day after Newman’s racing team announced the driver was “awake and speaking with family and doctors.”


Safety crews rushed to retrieve Newman, 42, from his No. 6 Ford after another vehicle hit his bumper, causing Newman to spin out and strike a wall before his car went airborne and was struck by another vehicle. Newman’s vehicle then slid upside-down on its driver’s side for a considerable distance.

SEE LIVE COVERAGE BELOW:

Roush Fenway Racing confirm with statement issued Tuesday afternoon.

NASCAR fans feared the worst after initially seeing the crash, but were relieved when they learned hours later that “Rocket Man” did not sustain life-threatening injuries.

It took crews about 20 minutes to get Newman out of the car. He was immediately transferred to the hospital where he remained until Wednesday.

“He’ll be all right, because he pulled through this,” NASCAR fan Chris Fulk told Channel 9. “This was a horrific wreck; he hit the wall at 200 mph, then got hit in the driver’s side at 200 mph, and he’s pulling through. So he’s the Rocket Man -- he’ll be back.”

The winner of the race, Denny Hamlin, said that Ryan was a tough guy while awaiting updates in the media room.

President Donald Trump offered his prayers after learning of the crash.

EDITOR’S NOTE: Cory Lajoie was identified as the driver who clipped the back of Newman’s car in a WFTV mobile app push alert. Lajoie was actually the driver who clipped Newman after he was struck from behind by driver Ryan Blaney.

One of the drivers who came in contact with Newman’s car after the crash, Cory Lajoie, said he didn’t believe there was anything he could do to avoid hitting Newman.

“You’re concentrating on trying to get a good finish and nobody realizes how fast 200 miles an hour is or how light or how uncontrollable these cars are when you get out of shape,” said Lajoie.

Lajoie believes NASCAR will be able to see how they can make vehicles safer by evaluating the cars involved in the wreckage.

There have been no fatalities on the Daytona International Speedway since the tragic death of Dale Earnhardt during the 2001 Daytona 500.

"A wreck that left the entire speedway stunned." That is how Joe Kepner, WFTV described witnessing Ryan Newman's Daytona 500 crash Monday night. Watch his report here: https://at.wftv.com/2vDZe5s

Posted by WFTV Channel 9 on Monday, February 17, 2020

Download the WFTV news app and watch Channel 9 Eyewitness News for live updates on the crash, or click here to have updates sent straight to your inbox.