FLORENCE, Ala. — Smoking in school bathrooms has been a problem for years. Vaping adds a new headache for administrators, but a northern Alabama high school is taking a proactive -- and controversial -- approach.
The move came after Principal Gary Horton said a student was found passed out in a stall after vaping, the television station reported. The principal said to curtail the surreptitious breaks, the best solution was to remove the doors to some stalls.
Some parents are not happy with the decision.
"Me, as a parent, personally, I think that's a little excessive," Brandon Campbell told WAFF.
“I don’t like it. They take their only private place in the school that they can do their business,” Rachel Munsey told the television station.
Munsey said a better solution might have been putting monitors in the bathroom
"(If there is a) bad vaping problem, then you need spotters in the bathroom. You need someone adult to go in there to make sure there's not any vaping going on," Munsey told WAFF
© 2019 Cox Media Group