Beginning on Saturday, people with private health care insurance can apply for reimbursement for an at-home COVID-19 test.
The Biden administration on Monday announced that insurance companies must pay for eight over the counter at-home COVID-19 tests per person, per month.
Here is what the plan includes:
· Insurance companies must pay for eight over the counter at-home COVID-19 tests per person, per month.
· Any of the 11 home test kits authorized or approved by the Food and Drug Administration (see the list below) are eligible for reimbursement.
· Most consumers will be able to get the tests covered up front at their insurer’s “preferred” pharmacies. Tests cost between $15 and $35 for a pack of two.
· Insurers are required to pay for $12 per individual test (or $24 per two-pack) at out-of-network locations, leaving the rest of the cost to the consumer.
· People on Medicare will not be able to get their at-home COVID-19 tests reimbursed through the program, according to the Centers for Medicaid & Medicare Services.
· Short-term or health care sharing plans typically don’t have to participate.
· Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program plans are required to cover the entire cost of at-home tests.
· COVID tests are also an eligible expense for flexible savings accounts and health savings accounts.
· Keep your receipt to show to your insurance company for reimbursement.
What if you do not have insurance?
· The federal government will be providing up to 50 million free at-home tests at community centers and Medicare-certified health clinics. Check state or local health agency websites to find out where they will be distributed.
· The Biden administration will soon be sending out 500 million over-the-counter tests. Any American who wants one will be able to request one via a website that is soon to be set up. The tests will be delivered by the U.S. Postal Service.
The FDA has authorized these 11 tests for home delivery or pharmacy reimbursement:
· CareStart COVID-19 Antigen Home Test;
· iHealth COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test;
· BD Veritor At-Home COVID-19 Test;
· SCoV-2 Ag Detect Rapid Self-Test;
· BinaxNOW COVID-19 Antigen Self Test;
· InteliSwab COVID-19 Rapid Test;
· Celltrion DiaTrust COVID-19 Ag Home Test;
· QuickVue At-Home OTC COVID-19 Test;
· Flowflex COVID-19 Antigen Home Test;
· BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card 2 Home Test;
©2022 Cox Media Group