SURFSIDE, Fla. — Three more people have been found dead in the rubble of the collapsed Champlain Towers South building after crews resumed search efforts following the demolition of the part of the building that was left standing.
“Since the first responders were able to resume their work on the collapse last night, we have very sadly recovered three additional victims,” Miami-Dade County Mayor Danielle Levine Cava said Monday. “The total number of confirmed deaths is now at 27.”
Crews resumed the search for survivors of after demolishing what was left standing of Champlain Towers South late Sunday night. Cava said that as of Monday morning, 191 people connected with the condo building had been accounted for while 118 remained unaccounted for.
>> Related: Surfside condo collapse: Watch controlled explosion bring down Champlain Towers South remnants
Authorities said 55 of the 12-story building’s 136 units collapsed just before 2 a.m. on June 24. Video obtained by WSVN showed the collapse.
JUST IN: 7News has obtained surveillance video of the moment the Champlain Towers South Condo collapsed in Surfside early this morning.— WSVN 7 News (@wsvn) June 24, 2021
According to a fire official, 35 people were pulled from the collapsed building. Search and rescue efforts ongoing. https://t.co/Ac7KgnJOSO pic.twitter.com/oeczbumRG9
Since then, crews have searched nearly non-stop for survivors. Efforts were halted for a few hours last week after structural engineers noted problems with the remaining building’s stability, prompting Sunday’s demolition.
>> Related: Surfside condo collapse: Search efforts paused amid safety concerns
Officials also watched the path of Tropical Storm Elsa on Monday. The storm is expected to bring heavy rain and wind to the area through at least Tuesday, Cava said.
The exact cause of the collapse remained unclear Monday. Officials continue to investigate.
©2021 Cox Media Group