ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. — As seasonal winter weather moves in and the cost of energy increases across the globe, Duke Energy is reminding its customers of available tips, tools and assistance programs to help them prepare for higher winter bills.
“We understand customers are still recovering from recent economic challenges. Winter weather and higher natural gas prices could create additional hardships on our customers,” Melissa Seixas, Duke Energy Florida president, said in a news release. “The increase in fuel prices is set by the market and passed through to customers with no markup. We want to highlight steps to help customers manage their energy usage and lower bills.”
Here’s how to save money this winter, according to Duke.
- Duke Energy Florida offers free home energy checks to help customers identify how they can reduce their electric use and save money. That service can be performed online, over the phone or in person. Click here for more information.
- Learn how to reduce energy use.
- Change air filters regularly.
- Have HVAC systems checked regularly.
- Seal your home.
- Install smart thermostats.
- Manage water heating.
- Consider insulation.
- Operate ceiling fans in a clockwise direction, which pushes warm air back down into the room.
- Leave drapes or blinds open during sunny winter days.
Duke said it also has options for customers and their billing, including budget billing, picking your due date, tracking and managing energy usage, assistance programs, installments on past-due balances and more.