How can Central Florida residents apply for FEMA’s Transitional Shelter Assistance?

ORLANDO, Fla. — Central Florida residents who are unable to return to their primary residences that are either uninhabitable or inaccessible due to Hurricane Ian, could be eligible for FEMA Transitional Shelter Assistance.

This FEMA program provides short-term hotel stays for eligible survivors when other housing options are not available after a presidentially declared disaster.


The program has been activated for Hurricane Ian survivors in Charlotte, Collier, DeSoto, Flagler, Hardee, Highlands, Hillsborough, Lake, Lee, Manatee, Orange, Osceola, Pinellas, Polk, Putnam, Sarasota, Seminole, St. Johns and Volusia counties.

According to a news release, survivors from these counties who have applied for disaster assistance may be eligible to shelter in a hotel or motel paid for by FEMA.

Read: Eligible Central Florida residents displaced by Hurricane Ian still waiting for hotel vouchers

Under the TSA program, FEMA pays the cost of room, taxes and non-refundable pet fees directly to participating hotels and motels. Survivors are responsible for all other costs, including laundry, room service, parking, telephone, food, transportation and other services.

Residents can register with FEMA in one of several ways: they can register online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov or through the FEMA App.

Read: As flood waters recede, a list of lessons learned emerges

Another option for individuals, including those who use the 711 relay or VRS, is to call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) while those who use TTY can call 1-800-462-7585. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. local time, seven days a week.

Read: Central Florida election officials work to ensure Hurricane Ian doesn’t impact voting

Click here to download the free WFTV news and weather apps, click here to download the WFTV Now app for your smart TV and click here to stream Channel 9 Eyewitness News live.