ORLANDO, Fla. — Human trafficking can be hidden in plain sight, so it is important to be aware of the signs.
What is sex trafficking?
Sex trafficking is defined as when individuals are forced to perform commercial sex through fraud or coercion, according to the National Human Trafficking Hotline.
Labor trafficking and sex trafficking are two types of human trafficking.
Here are the following nine warning signs to look out for in a person:
- The person seems paranoid or fearful.
- Physical branding.
- The person is living in unsafe conditions.
- Signs of unusual wealth without explanation.
- Clothing is inappropriate for age or weather.
- Documents are held by someone else.
- The person is monitored and has a controlling sponsor.
- Working in an industry where it may be common to be pressured into performing sex acts for money.
©2022 Cox Media Group