MARION COUNTY, Fla. — Some Publix stores will soon begin administering COVID-19 vaccines, Gov. Ron DeSantis announced during a news conference in Ocala on Tuesday.
About 15,000 Moderna doses will be sent to 22 Publix stores in Citrus, Hernando and Marion counties, DeSantis said. Click here to see the full list of participating stores.
Publix is preparing to make appointments through an online scheduling system. The vaccines will be for people 65 and older.
If the pilot program works, DeSantis said he would like it at all 750 Publix pharmacies in the state.
See the full list of the Marion County Publix stores participating:
- Belleview Commons, 10135 SE US Hwy. 441 Belleview, FL
- Rainbow Square Shopping Center, 11352 N. Williams Street, Suite 400 Dunnellon, FL
- Forty East Shopping Center, 3450 E. Silver Springs Blvd. Ocala, FL
- Canopy Oak Center, 8075 SW Highway 200, Unit 111 Ocala, FL
- Park View Commons, 3035 SE Maricamp Road Ocala, FL
- The Shops at Foxwood, 2765 NW 49th Avenue, Suite 301 Ocala, FL
- Grand Oaks Town Center, 2575 SW 42nd Street, Suite 100 Ocala, FL
- Pearl Britain Plaza, 2647 NE 35th Street Ocala, FL
- Churchill Square, 303 SE 17th Street Ocala, FL
- Heather Island Plaza, 7578 SE Maricamp Road, Suite 100 Ocala, FL
- Heath Brook Commons, 5400 SW College Road, Suite 200 Ocala, FL
The announcement comes the day after DeSantis announced that state sites that do COVID-19 testing, as well as churches, will begin distributing the vaccine.
Officials said 1,000 nurses are being deployed along with the national guard to help with the distribution efforts.
© 2021 Cox Media Group