Protesters demand release of body camera video after deputy shoots, kills armed man in parking lot of The Florida Mall

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. — The Orange County Sheriff's Office has released a statement, following last week's deputy-involved shooting that killed a man.

The man's family has been pleading to see body camera video from this scene.

The Sheriff's Office said it will release the video after the Florida Department of Law Enforcement completes an investigation.

Orange County Sheriff’s Office says it won’t release footage of man being shot in back by deputy at Florida Mall

Dozens showed up Friday inside a parking lot in front of The Florida Mall, the place where 22-year-old Salaythis Melvin was shot and killed by an Orange County Deputy.

Deputies were searching for another suspect who was seen at the mall with Melvin and at least two others on Aug. 7.

Investigators said when they approached the group, they all ran, and that's when Melvin was accused of putting his right hand on a handgun.

Melvin was taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center after the shooting and he died the next day, deputies said.

“It could have been anybody who comes to Florida Mall who could have ran and perceived as a threat and been shot also,” said community activist Miles Mulrain.

‘He’s not even the guy you’re looking for’: Parents of man shot in back by deputy while running away push for body camera to be released

The Orange County Sheriff's Office released a statement Friday which reads in part:

“FDLE has asked that we not release the body worn camera footage in this case to protect the integrity of its investigation, until its interviews have been completed which FDLE has indicated will be next week.”

Mike Lawlor is an associate professor of criminal justice at the University of New Haven and said this is a critical time for Orange County Sheriff John Mina who is running to keep his position in Tuesday's primary election.

“At the moment, it’s always best to err on the side of transparency and full disclosure,” Lawlor said.

The statement from the Orange County Sheriff’s Office also said moving forward, its office will be adopting a protocol for the release of body worn camera footage in deputy-involved shooting cases.

Karen Parks

Karen Parks, WFTV.com

Karen Parks is a reporter at WFTV.