Report: 'I've done something wrong,' hospital shooter tells guard after allegedly killing 2 women

TITUSVILLE, Fla. — David Owens was handcuffed and on the ground, not far from a hospital room where he had just killed two women, when he told a security guard, “I’ve done something wrong,” a recently released police report said.

Owens’ attorney waived his first appearance before a judge Monday.

“He's not mentally fit to come to court judge, and I think it's appropriate to waive his appearance at this time,” said Owens’ attorney.

Owens is accused of riding his bicycle to Parrish Medical Center in Titusville Sunday and shooting two women to death in a third-floor room.

Two security guards were able to tackle Owens and arrest him, investigators said.

Police said the shooting was random and that Owens did not know the victims, patient Cynthia Zingsheim, 92, and hospital employee Carrie Rouzer, 36.

Authorities said they have video of Owens arriving at the hospital on his bicycle at about 3 a.m. Sunday, and then walking into the emergency room, the report said.

Without stopping, he continued through the waiting room, and then went down a hallway that led into the main hospital, surveillance video shows.

He’s seen walking toward the elevators, and showed up moments later on the third floor of the hospital, the report said.

The man walked past the nurse station and into room 320, where he pulled out a gun and fired three times, killing Zingsheim and Rouzer, police said.

A staff member who was hiding in a closet made one of two 911 calls that were released Monday.

Dispatcher: “I need you guys to stay on the line with me. Have you heard any more shots?”

Caller: “No (whispers).”

Dispatcher: “We're not going to forget about you. We're going to get you out of there okay?”

The nurse in charge of the third floor told investigators that when Owens walked in, she thought he might be confused and asked if he needed any help, the report said.

The man continued walking to the room, and moments later, the nurse heard a gunshot and one of the victims say, “There’s a gunman,” police said.

The nurse then heard two more gunshots, the report said.

Covered in blood, Owens walked out of the room and back toward the elevators, where he was intercepted by two hospital security guards, video shows.

The two guards, Jason Rowley and Matthew Dolin, were able to get Owens to the ground and handcuff him, the report said.

“My partner and I met the suspect face-to-face coming out of the women's bathroom and took him into his custody,” said security officer Matthew Dolin.

At the time, the guards were told it was a code silver for an active shooter. They didn't know if the man was still armed, or even if he had multiple weapons.

That is when the man stated that he’d done something wrong, Dolin told detectives.

Police arrived soon after and arrested Owens.

His mother, who did not want to be identified, told Channel 9 that Owens had a history of mental illness and court-ordered treatment.

Owens was charged with two counts of first-degree murder and was being held without bond at the Brevard County Jail.

Parrish security officers are not armed, although there have been discussions about the possibility in the past.

The hospital is going through an internal debriefing to determine what, if any changes will be made in

light of the shooting.