11-month-old, 3-year-old fatally stabbed in NYC; mother in custody

NEW YORK — Two children were fatally stabbed at an apartment in a New York City family shelter on Saturday night and their mother was in custody, authorities said.

>> Read more trending news

The boys -- an 11-month-old and a 3-year-old, died in the Mount Hope neighborhood of the Bronx, WABC-TV reported. Police said the boys were discovered with multiple stab wounds to the neck and torso, according to the television station.

Update 6:10 p.m. EST Nov. 27: Police said the boys’ the mother, who is a person of interest in the deaths, was taken to the hospital for evaluation and remains in custody, WABC-TV reported. There have been no arrests.

Original report: The boys were found in a bathtub covered in clothes with the water running and overflowing onto the bathroom floor, WPIX-TV reported. Both were taken to an area hospital, where they died from their injuries, according to the television station.

“It’s something that they (police) are going to have to live with and think about probably for the rest of their lives,” NYPD Deputy Chief Louis De Ceglie said during a news conference. “We have very experienced police officers. I think they are the best. They are able to handle and cope with any situation.”

At about 7:20 p.m. EST, officers responded to the apartment after receiving a report of a woman acting erratically, WCBS-TV reported. According to WABC, the woman attempted to burn down the apartment by turning on the stove and then turned the water on.

Police took the woman, believed to be the boys’ mother, into custody for a psychological evaluation, WNYW-TV reported. The children’s father was not detained.

Around 7:55 p.m. EST, police said there was another 911 call from the same location, reporting that two children were unresponsive, WCBS reported.

“I heard the father screaming in the hallways, ‘Help me! Help me!’ That’s when he brought the two boys, lifeless, covered in blood,” Shannon Holifield, a neighbor of the family, told WPIX. “It’s horrible. I’m not going to be able to sleep tonight.

“It’s very sad.”

The woman remains in police custody as a person of interest, WCBS reported.