- Sinkholes are typically caused naturally because of the bedrock and the rapid dissolution of carbonate rocks.
- Sinkholes can form gradually or suddenly, even without warning.
- Sinkhole insurance is offered in Florida.
- Springs and other bodies of water can contribute to the forming of sinkholes.
- Sinkholes are nearly impossible to predict.
- Sinkholes can form when the rain and floodwaters brought by hurricanes start to recede.
- Failure of pipes can cause depressions. Depressions are not necessarily sinkholes but can lead the ground to collapse.
- A sinkhole can be repaired if caught early. Like a tooth cavity, grout can be injected into the hole, rebuilding a foundation over the degrading limestone.
ORLANDO, Fla. — PHOTOS: SINKHOLES IN OCALA
Follow our Severe Weather team on Twitter for live updates:
© 2020 Cox Media Group