ORLANDO, Fla. — Coronavirus cases in Florida inched toward 2,500 as Orange and Osceola counties have implemented stay-at-home orders.
The coronavirus is also impacted businesses across the region.
See our in-depth coverage below:
11 p.m. update
Orange and Osceola counties are officially under a stay-at-home order through 11 p.m. on April 9.
For more information on what a stay-at-home order means, click here.
7:30 p.m. update
There are now 2,484 positive COVID-19 cases in Florida, according to the Department of Health, up from the 2,355 cases reported Thursday morning. Of those cases, 2,359 are Florida residents.
In Orange County, nine more cases were reported, bringing the total to 119.
Another person died from COVID-19, bringing the total death toll in the state to 29, according to the Department of Health.
6:30 p.m. update
Watch the latest update out of Orange County from reporter Lauren Seabrook below:
5:55 p.m. update
President Donald Trump said he is urging residents to stay home and relax, in a news briefing Thursday evening.
5:25 p.m. update
Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer said the stay-at-home order is not something official wanted to do, but something they had to do.
“We have to stop the spread of the virus. We have to flatten the curve because if we don’t, we’re going to get other people sick,” Dyer said. “We’re going to overwhelm our hospitals. Our doctors and nurses will get sick, and we won’t have enough protective equipment for our first responders and for our health care professionals. And that’s why it’s so important. Spread the message not the virus.”
4:40 p.m. update
Brevard County officials on Thursday announced weekend restrictions for its beaches.
The beaches will be closed from 11 am. to 4 p.m. on weekends starting Friday. Regular hours will remain for Monday through Thursday.
The closure is a test run, and officials said they will reevaluate it early next week to see if it worked, or if restrictions need to be “ramped up.”
4:35 p.m. update
Orange County Sheriff John Mina said deputies do not plan to use the stay-at-home order to make more arrests. Instead, he said the order is simply to help stop the spread of the coronavirus and keep residents safe and healthy.
4:30 p.m. update
Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings said the county has clarified the difference between essential and non-essential businesses as it pertains to the stay-at-home order that goes into place at 11 p.m. Thursday. Click here to read the updated FAQs regarding the order.
He said the order allows businesses to continue minimal operations, including payroll.
4:20 p.m. update
Dr. Raul Pino with the Florida Department of Health in Orange County said a 9-year-old has tested positive for COVID-19 in Orange County.
He is one of the 110 people who have tested positive for the virus in Orange County so far.
Pino said most of the transmissions of the virus are now coming from the county or domestic travel, rather than international travel.
3:55 p.m. update
Orange County officials are scheduled to provide an update on the coronavirus pandemic at 4 p.m.
Click below of watch Channel 9 to tune in LIVE.
2:40 p.m. update
The Orlando Fire Department is asking for donations of personal protection equipment for its first responders. Any one with extra N95 masks, gloves, gowns or eye protection is asked to drop them off a Station 16.
2:20 p.m. update
Seminole County officials said they are not issuing a stay-at-home order as of Thursday. They said they will continue to evaluate the need for such an order on a daily basis.
12:48 p.m. update:
Officials in Brevard County will hold a news conference at 4 p.m. to discuss possible beach restrictions amid the pandemic.
12:05 p.m. update
The Orange County Fire Rescue Department put out an update on the coronavirus outbreak’s impact on its staff Thursday morning. Here is the latest from officials:
- One OCFRD firefighter has reportedly tested positive for COVID-19. This firefighter remains self-quarantined.
- 15 OCFRD firefighters are on self-quarantine as a precaution to a possible work-related exposure (includes the above firefighter).
- An additional four OCFRD personnel are on self-quarantine based upon recent travel, potential outside exposure, and/or possible illness in accordance to the county’s policy to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19. This number is reflective of all personnel, and not limited to firefighters.
11:45 a.m. update
The Florida Department of Health is reporting that there are now more than 2,300 cases of COVID-19 in the state as of Thursday morning and that 28 people have died from the virus.
There are now 2,355 reported cases up from 1,977 cases Wednesday evening. Five more deaths were also reported in Florida during the same time frame.
See the latest county-by-county breakdown below:
- Orange: 110 (82 last night)
- Osceola: 42 (39 last night)
- Seminole: 37 (32 last night)
- Volusia: 29 (28 last night)
- Lake: 25 (22 last night)
- Sumter: 24 (18 last night)
- Brevard: 13 (12 last night)
- Flagler: 7 (6 last night)
- Marion: 5 (no change)
9:22 a.m update:
Seminole County officials will hold a press conference at 2 p.m. to provide updates on the county’s response to COVID-19.
8:18 a.m. update:
Brevard County government and health officials will have a meeting Friday to discuss whether any additional restrictions need to be put in place due to the coronavirus.
The meeting is slated for 10 a.m.
4:33 a.m. update:
Residents in Orange and Osceola counties will prepare for a stay-at-home mandate to go into effect beginning late Thursday evening.
The order will go into effect beginning at 11 p.m. and last until April 9 at 11 p.m.
The order applies to businesses and workers who are not deemed essential.
© 2020 © 2020 Cox Media Group