135 students evacuated after dryer fire at Bethune-Cookman, university officials say

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — About 135 students were evacuated after an electronic dryer caught fire at Bethune-Cookman University, officials said.

>>> STREAM CHANNEL 9 EYEWITNESS NEWS LIVE <<<

It happened Friday around 8:05 p.m. on the third floor of Thompson Hall. No one was injured and about 135 students were evacuated from the building, university officials said.

READ: New partnership will give Orlando Magic fans free SunRail rides to weekday games

When the fire happened, the building’s sprinkler system came on, which flooded all three floors in the building.

The building also suffered internal damage but remains standing.

READ: Orlando to pay for damages to neighbor’s car sustained during officer-involved shooting

Students are being relocated to other housing areas on campus. Officials will determine Saturday when students can return to the building, the university said.

READ: Convicted cop killer Markeith Loyd takes the stand before judge rules on sentencing

Click here to download the free WFTV news and weather apps, click here to download the WFTV Now app for your smart TV and click here to stream Channel 9 Eyewitness News live.

Adam Poulisse, WFTV.com

Adam Poulisse joined WFTV in November 2019.