• Boy helps save 10-year-old brother from pit bull attack in Sanford

    By: Kelly Healey


    SANFORD, Fla. - A 10-year-old Sanford boy is in a hospital Monday after he was mauled by a neighbor’s pit bull, officials said.

    WFTV reporter Roy Ramos spoke with Logan Millspaugh's mother, Beth Lyons, who said Logan’s older brother helped save his life.

    “His head is wrapped, (and) both of his legs. (He) can't walk,” Lyons said.

    Logan remains hospitalized with severe injuries, Lyons said.

    Lyons said Logan was attacked by a dog on Hayes Drive in Sanford on Saturday.

    Photos: Boy mauled by pit bull in Sanford

    Doctors at Arnold Palmer Children’s Hospital told Lyons that Logan will have a slow road to recovery and might not be able to walk again. 

    Lyons said she credits her son’s survival to neighbors, incuding Roy Stone, who rushed to help.

    “I tried to get in between him and the dog, but he was just relentless on that little kid,” said Stone.

    But it was Logan's 12-year-old brother, Hunter, who first rushed to his side.

    Stone said he saw Logan riding his bike when he was attacked by the dog.

    “I think he is a hero.  I think he is the best big brother,” Lyons said.

    Logan with 12-year-old brother, Hunter, who saved him from pit bull.

    Lyons said the incident was not the first time Animal Services had responded to an attack with the dog. 

    “I think that with it already attacking two people that something should have been done,” Lyons.

    Ramos tried but could not reach the dog’s owner.

    Animal Services said the dog hadn’t been taken because the two prior incidents happened on the owner’s property.

    “He may not have shut his gate really good,” Lyons said.

    While Hunter might have saved his brother's life, his mother said she’s worried that Logan might not be able to enjoy what he loves best: playing football.

    His Seminole Shark teammates on his Pop Warner team call him White Lightning because of his speed.

    “He was trying to run, and when he saw his calf open, and he said, ‘My calf is gone! I can't go play football now,’” Stone said.

    Animal Services said the dog will be quarantined for 10 days, but will likely be euthanized after causing a severe bite wound. 

    The owner was not charged.

    Read: Student's threats toward Stetson University ‘concerning,' police say

    Next Up: