by: WFTV Web staff Updated:
ORMOND BEACH, Fla. - A warning has been issued to any dog owners who take their pets to Bicentennial Park in Ormond Beach.
At least seven fish hooks were found placed in nine meatballs at the dog park Tuesday, deputies said.
Rita Michelini told Channel 9’s Lauren Seabrook that her dog, Buddy, ate one of the meatballs, but did not ingest any fish hooks. Michelini took Buddy to the veterinarian as a precaution.
"Fortunately, they took X-rays and he had not swallowed any fish hooks, which I'm extremely grateful (for), because he's my everything," Michelini said.
A deputy searched the park along the east fence line and found a meatball in the grass, investigators said. The deputy said the meat was cold and sweating, like it had been frozen and was beginning to thaw.
Investigators believe the meat was liverwurst.
Holly Johnson and her dog were at the dog park as well when the meatballs were found.
"It's absolutely horrible. I mean, what kind of sick people are there in this world?" Johnson said. "Be diligent. Stay with your dogs. Don't let your dogs out of your sight."
The deputy said two years ago he received reports of meat stuffed with pills at the same park.
Watch below: Dog owner discusses finding fish hook in meatballs:
7 meatballs with hooks in them were found around the park. A dog ate one but is okay and didn’t digest any hooks— Mike Springer WFTV (@mspringerwftv) November 8, 2017
© 2017 Cox Media Group.
Fish hooks found in meat at Volusia County dog park, deputies say
DNA expert testifies in downtown Orlando security guard's murder trial
OPD officer flees when pickup truck catches fire after crashing into 408…
Deputies: Lake County man causes crash to bring attention to dangerous…
Crocodile spotted on Florida beach