ORLANDO, Fla. — While it’s been more than two decades since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, Central Florida continues to remember and honor those who died in New York, Washington, D.C. and Pennsylvania.
Here is a look at some events being held throughout our area on Sunday to commemorate those who were lost:
Orlando: 9/11 Remembrance and Candlelight Ceremony - Hosted by Orlando Fire Department
- Time: 7 p.m.
- Location: Fire Station 1, 78 W Central Boulevard, Orlando, FL 32801
- Online: A livestream will also be available on Facebook. Click here to watch.
Winter Springs: 9/11 Memorial Ceremony - Hosted by City of Winter Springs
- Time: 8-9 a.m.
- Location: Winter Springs City Hall, 1126 E State Road 434, Winter Springs, FL 32708
A moment of silence will be observed at 8:46 a.m. Noise warning: There will be considerable noise during the firing of saluting guns.
Clermont: 9/11 Memorial Ceremony - Hosted by City of Clermont
- Time: 2 p.m.
- Location: Clermont Arts and Recreation Center, 3700 South Highway 27, Clermont, FL 34711
A very special message will be delivered by Jimmy Brown, a former New York City Police Officer and a medically trained New York City firefighter who survived 9/11. Sonny’s BBQ is sponsoring a reception immediately following the ceremony.
Palm Bay: Patriot Day Remembrance Ceremony - Hosted by City of Palm Bay
- Time: 12 p.m.
- Location: Palm Bay City Hall, 120 Malabar Road, Palm Bay, FL 32909
The ceremony will include guest speakers, a bell ringing ceremony, and a moment of silence.
DeLand: 9/11 Memorial Events - Hosted by City of DeLand
- Time: 8:30-11 a.m.
- Location: Fire Station 81, 343 West Howry Avenue, DeLand, FL 32720
Residents are invited to join us for breakfast as the DeLand Fire Department Honor Guard marks significant moments that occurred on 9/11 throughout the morning. Click here for more information.
Memorial Charity Softball Game:
- Time: 6 p.m.
- Location: Sperling Sports Complex, 1300 Matt Fair Boulevard, DeLand, FL 3272
This game is held each year to honor the lives lost on September 11th, 2001. Admission is FREE, but donations are welcomed and will benefit the DeLand Police Athletic League. Click here for more information.
Palm Coast: 2nd Annual 9/11 Tribute Stair Climb - Hosted by Hammock Beach Golf Resort & Spa and Flagler County Fire Rescue
- Time: 8:30 a.m.
- Location: Hammock Beach Golf Resort & Spa, 200 Ocean Crest Drive, Palm Coast, FL 32137
The Hammock Beach Golf Resort & Spa offers firefighters the use its 11-flight stairwell. They’ll make 10 trips up the stairs to represent the 110 flights of stairs at the World Trade Center.
Firefighters will be dressed in full turnout gear and will begin their first ascent promptly at 8:46 a.m. -- the moment American Airlines Flight 11 was flown into the North Tower of the World Trade Center complex in Lower Manhattan.
©2022 Cox Media Group