• Investigators say 8-month-old hospitalized for injuries from shaken baby syndrome


    LAKE COUNTY, Fla. - An 8-month-old boy is in a hospital after he was abused, and his grandparents, who had custody of the child, waited almost an entire day to report the injuries, state investigators said.
    Channel 9's Ryan Hughes talked to Joshua Moore, the baby's father, who said he wants the grandparents to take ownership of the issues with his son.
    "He's doing a little better. Every day's a little bit more progress," Moore said, describing his son's condition.
    Moore's son, Elijah, was taken to Arnold Palmer Hospital in Orlando late last month. According to a Florida Department of Children and Families investigator, the child was the victim of severe physical abuse, and the injuries went unreported for almost 20 hours.
    "I hope justice gets served because my son's laying up there missing half his skull," Moore said.
    Elijah was in the custody of his maternal grandparents when they came to Tavares from Tennessee for a vacation.
    Paperwork says the grandmother called for help after, she claims, the baby fell off a bed in a motel room.
    Investigators said they are convinced his injuries are consistent with shaken baby syndrome. As a result of his injuries, the little boy needed brain surgery because of swelling and internal bleeding.
    "I couldn't believe it, really.  I could never imagine me harming my child," said Moore.
    Moore said he rushed to Florida to be by his son's bedside.
    Elijah wears a helmet to help him heal.
    The Tavares Police Department is investigating, although a spokeswoman wouldn't answer questions about the case. Police have not said whether or not they have contacted the child's grandparents.
    Moore said the grandparents have left Tavares, possibly headed back to Tennessee.
    Moore said Elijah will have another surgery in a few weeks.

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Investigators say 8-month-old hospitalized for injuries from shaken baby…