MARION COUNTY, Fla. — It’s been nearly two weeks since a tornado hit Marion County, and some people are still dealing with damage and debris.
The county has approved up to $600,000 to clean up and haul away the debris left behind in the wake of the tornado, which tracked 25 miles across the county, damaged homes, toppled trees and left behind a mess.
As of Wednesday, piles of debris over 6 feet tall remain in the area.
“I’ve been crazy,” said Greg Labance with H&H Tree Service. “I’ve been doing work for about 20 years, now is the worst I’ve seen damage wise. I’ve seen a lot of hurricanes come out here every yard is full of trees.”
Labance and others in the neighborhood have been pushing the logs and branches to the edges of the road.
“What we found here in several neighborhoods is approximately 43,000 cubic yards of debris within the right of way that we’re looking to push and dispose of,” said Marion County engineer Elton Holland.
So far about 20% of the debris has been picked up.
The Marion County commission initially approved $100,000 for the clean up, but during an emergency meeting this week approved another $500,000 dollars.
The county is asking everyone in the affected areas to have their debris pushed out to the side of the road by the end of the month so the county can haul it away.
“Been a big effort to get it cleaned up but they’ve been doing pretty good,” Labance said.
The county clean up money is only good for neighborhoods impacted by the tornado.
©2022 Cox Media Group