• 2 guests at Vegas resort had Legionnaires' disease

    By: Bob D Angelo, Cox Media Group National Content Desk


    Two guests at a Las Vegas resort have contracted Legionnaires' disease, the Southern Nevada Health District said on Friday.

    >> Read more trending news

    CNN reported that the guests stayed separately at the Rio All-Suite Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas in March and April.

    Legionnaires' disease spreads when people breathe small droplets of water infected with legionella bacteria, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

    The Caesar Entertainment group said tests made to the hotel's water confirmed the presence of legionella bacteria, CNN reported.

    Symptoms usually begin within 2 to 10 days after exposure to the bacteria, CNN reported.

    The disease was named for a deadly 1976 outbreak in Philadelphia that largely affected people attending an American Legion convention.

    In 2011, a person who stayed at the Luxor hotel in Las Vegas died after contracting Legionnaires' disease, the health district said.

    The Las Vegas Strip.
    The Las Vegas Strip.
    SAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images

    Next Up: