Former child actor Drake Bell is speaking out after he pleaded guilty earlier this year to attempted child endangerment charges.
Bell posted an Instagram video Thursday, USA Today reported.
In the clip, he addressed fans saying, “most of the news you’ve heard recently is entirely false and wrong.”
He added, “I feel that you deserve, and I owe you, an explanation.”
You can watch the complete video here or below.
He said he is home with his wife and son. He is not in jail.
He said he responded to a fan, whose age he didn’t know, and as soon as he found out her age, he stopped communicating with the individual.
Bell said no sexual images were exchanged and all communication was through text message. He called the messages “reckless and irresponsible.”
The person who levied the allegations against Bell is 19 now and said that they had exchanged explicit photos online and the pair had sexual contact several times, including at a concert in Cleveland in 2017 and a hotel.
The Associated Press reported that Bell sent the girl “inappropriate social media messages”
Bell said, “This individual continued to come to shows and pay for meet and greets, all while I was unaware that this was the same person I was communicating with online, and that’s what plead guilty to.”
He was given a plea deal that he said he took and that he pleaded guilty to disseminating harmful matter to juveniles and attempted child endangerment, E Online reported.
A Cleveland court sentenced Bell to two years probation and 200 hours of community service, USA Today reported.
Bell appeared on the Nickelodeon show “Drake & Josh” after getting his break on “The Amanda Show.” He is now a singer, the AP reported.
©2021 Cox Media Group