A nephew of singer Ricky Martin withdrew his harassment and affairs claim during a court appearance in Puerto Rico on Thursday, and a judge archived a restraining order, effectively closing the case.
A judge issued a restraining order on July 1 against the “Livin’ La Vida Loca” singer, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The order was filed under Puerto Rico’s domestic violence law, known as Law 54.
The restraining order was sought by Martin’s 21-year-old nephew, CNN reported, citing a family member of Martin’s who spoke to the Spanish news outlet Marca. The story by the news outlet included allegations that Martin, 50, and his nephew had been in a romantic relationship.
Martin appeared virtually in a Puerto Rico court to address the allegations, Variety reported.
In a statement, Martin’s attorneys said they were glad Martin “saw justice done.
“Just as we had anticipated, the temporary protection order was not extended by the Court,” Joaquín Monserrate Matienzo, Carmelo Dávila and Harry Massanet Pastrana said. “The accuser confirmed to the court that his decision to dismiss the matter was his alone, without any outside influence or pressure, and the accuser confirmed he was satisfied with his legal representation in the matter.
“The request came from the accuser asking to dismiss the case. This was never anything more than a troubled individual making false allegations with absolutely nothing to substantiate them. We are glad that our client saw justice done and can now move forward with his life and his career.”
With this case closed, Martin can turn his attention to a $3 million lawsuit filed by his former manager, who claims that he owes her unpaid commissions, Variety reported.
Martin is scheduled to perform at the Hollywood Bowl with the Los Angeles Philharmonic on Friday, according to CNN.
©2022 Cox Media Group