ORLANDO, Fla. — A toxic algae bloom has reached Florida's Space Coast.
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission on Wednesday said red tide had reached parts of Brevard County.
Here are nine facts about red tide:
2. Karenia brevis is the algae species that causes red tide.
3. High concentrations of Karenia brevis have been detected at Satellite Beach's Pelican Beach Park and in medium concentrations near Melbourne Beach.
5. At high concentrations, red tide can discolor water, causing it to appear red or brown. Other algae blooms can make the water appear green or purple.
6. Some could experience skin irritation or burning eyes from the algae bloom.
7. Those with respiratory illnesses might experience a flare-up and some irritation.
9. Red tides can last from several weeks to more than a year.
© 2020 Cox Media Group