Central Florida districts weighing options for digital learning next school year

OSCEOLA COUNTY, Fla. — At least two Central Florida school districts will not offer innovative distance learning options in the fall.

Others said they are still considering their options as COVID-19 vaccination efforts continue across the state and country.

READ: Osceola County schools announce learning options for next school year

Osceola County Schools Superintendent Debra Pace said that starting in the fall, parents can choose to send their children back into the classroom or to have them learn virtually through Osceola Virtual School.

Online learning at individual schools, she said, will not be available.

READ: Florida reports 5,800 COVID-19 cases as state surpasses 10 million vaccine doses administered

Osceola County Schools said right now, 74% of students are learning face-to-face and are required to wear masks. The other 26% of students are either digital or virtual learners.

The following is a message from Dr. Debra Pace, Superintendent Osceola School District: Thank you for your continued...

Posted by Osceola County School District on Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Lake County Schools also plans to dissolve its innovative option “Lake Live” in the fall.

Seminole County Public Schools said it’s planning to have a meeting in about two weeks to discuss the fall.

Brevard Public Schools said it is still discussing what to do next fall, as is Orange County Public Schools.

READ: Jack Hanna retires from public eye, diagnosed with dementia

The state ultimately gave districts an extension in the spring to continue offering the distance learning options.

OCPS said its LaunchED@Home will not be made available in the fall if the state does not offer another extension.

Cierra Putman

Cierra Putman, WFTV.com

Cierra Putman flew south to join Eyewitness News in July 2016.

Sarah Wilson

Sarah Wilson, WFTV.com

Sarah Wilson joined WFTV Channel 9 in 2018 as a digital producer after working as an award-winning newspaper reporter for nearly a decade in various communities across Central Florida.

Comments on this article