FDOT adding wrong-way driving notification systems to several I-4 interchanges

ORLANDO, Fla. — Wrong-way driving notification systems are currently in place along Florida’s expressways and toll roads, but soon, they’ll be added to several key interchanges along Interstate-4 as well.

According to the Florida Highway patrol, most wrong-way drivers are either impaired, disoriented, or attempting to commit suicide.

>>> STREAM CHANNEL 9 EYEWITNESS NEWS LIVE <<<

“It is a serious problem Central Florida seems to have...a lot of wrong-way drivers,” FHP Lt. Kim Montes said.

READ: Florida ranks 3rd in country for laser strikes on aircraft

Montes says 80 percent of those drivers correct themselves, but the remaining 20 percent are a serious concern.

“Unfortunately...those are very severe crashes; head on collisions that usually involve fatalities.” Montes said.

To go along with the existing notification systems in place along Florida state highways and toll roads, the Florida Department of Transportation will soon install wrong-way driving vehicle detection systems at eight I-4 interchanges.

READ: NASA, ULA confirm ‘all systems go’ for launch of Lucy spacecraft from Kennedy Space Center

According to FHP, sensors on their wrong-way signs will be able to detect a vehicle traveling the wrong way up an off ramp.

The driver is then alerted by flashing lights around the wrong-way sign.

At the same time, a message is sent to the regional traffic management center to confirm by video whether the driver has self corrected. If they don’t, a trooper is called.

READ: Sheriff: 2 hurt after shootout between motorcycle gangs on I-4

Overhead signs will also alert other drivers that a wrong-way driver has been detected.

“So if you’re traveling in the overnight hours, stay out of that left lane,” Lt. Montes said. “Travel in the center or right lane just in case someone is going the wrong way. It will give you precious seconds for you to avoid a head-on collision”

Click here to download the free WFTV news and weather apps, click here to download the WFTV Now app for your smart TV and click here to stream Channel 9 Eyewitness News live.