ORLANDO, Fla. — Four people are in custody after a shooting at the Mall at Millenia Thursday afternoon, according to police.
Police initially described the shooting as having taken place inside the mall’s food court, but later determined the shooting happened outside at the food court entrance.
Police said there were no injuries. Off-duty officers were able to neutralize the suspects without incident and no officers deployed weapons, police said.
Deputy Chief Eric Smith said there were a lot of people inside the mall at the time of the shooting, and it “could’ve been a deadly situation.”
He said the shooting was an “isolated incident.”
Delaina Baker had been inside the mall at the time of the shooting.
“One of the lady shop owners goes, ‘Do you want to hide in here with me?’ and I said ‘Hide from what?’ and she goes, ‘There’s an active shooter in the building.’ And I said ‘Oh my god, I’ve got to get my kids.’”
She had just split up from her 13-year-old son and his friend.
“They were definitely freaked out,” Baker said. “But he knew when I was screaming in the phone, it’s not something I would normally do, so he booked it.”
Police are working with the mall to review any surveillance videos. Part of the investigation is to also figure out if there were any other people involved that might’ve gotten away when the mall was evacuated.
Check back and watch Channel 9 Eyewitness News for live updates on this developing story.
Cox Media Group