DELTONA, Fla. - A Deltona city employee was injured after a homemade firework exploded in his hand on Monday afternoon, officials said.
Officials received a call around 1:10 p.m. reporting that a man was hurt after a firework exploded in his hand near the corner of Howland Boulevard and Alley 977.
The man was airlifted to Halifax hospital.
- Florida man threatens to kill someone with 'kindness,' the name of his machete, police say
- Deputies: Unborn child dies after pregnant woman, man shot in Orange County
- Third drug smuggling tunnel found in month on Arizona-Mexico border
- WATCH: Woman banned from Walmart after riding cart while drinking wine from Pringles can, police say
City officials said the employee found a firework that appeared homemade while cleaning litter in the area and it appears he lit it and it exploded.
Officials did not detail the severity of the employee's injuries.
Because the firework appeared to be homemade and was covered in aluminum foil, Volusia County deputies evacuated the area to search for other possible explosive devices.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.