ORLANDO, Fla. — Universal Orlando Resort is unleashing a new species of thrill ride next year with Florida’s fastest and tallest launch coaster.
On Monday, Universal announced Jurassic World VelociCoaster, which will reach speeds of 70 mph and climb more than 150 feet in the air.
Universal said the VelociCoaster will raise the bar in extreme roller coaster design and become the ultimate experience for coaster enthusiasts and thrill-seekers. It will:
- Feature more than 4,700 feet of track and reach heights of up to 155 feet in the air.
- Speed through near-misses.
- Have launches within the velociraptor paddock.
- Accelerate through two launches, the fastest of which will reach 70 mph in 2.4 seconds.
- Have a one-of-a-kind barrel roll directly above the Islands of Adventure lagoon.
- Feature a zero-gravity inverted stall that will send riders upside down across 10 feet of track in a first-of-its-kind maneuver.
- Include a 155-foot “top hat” that goes immediately into an 80-degree drop, the steepest at Universal.
- Have 12 seconds of airtime and weightlessness throughout the adventure.
And throughout the ride, only a lap bar will keep riders in place.
Those brave enough to conquer the new coaster will find stars of the films Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard and BD Wong making appearances as Jurassic World unveils the next evolution of its “carnivore expansion,” the VelociCoaster, where riders will embark on a high-speed chase and feel the rush of the hunt as they race alongside a pack of velociraptors, according to Universal.
The VelociCoaster marks the first roller coaster in the world themed after the blockbuster “Jurassic World” films, and will feature an original story that expands upon the thrills, dinos and environments seen on the big screen, Universal announced.
The ride will be located in the Jurassic Park section of Island of Adventure. It is set to open in summer 2021.
Cox Media Group