ORLANDO, Fla. — Attorneys for the family of Tyre Sampson will file a lawsuit on Monday over the death of their son.
The 14-year-old fell to his death from the free-fall ride at Icon Park one month ago.
One of the family’s lawyers told Channel 9 that the they would be suing everyone involved, except for the teen operating the ride that day.
State investigators said changes made to two seats on the Orlando FreeFall led to Sampson’s death.
“The report confirms the manual adjustments have been made to the sensor with a seat in question that allowed the harness to restraint opening to be almost double that of the normal restraint opening range,” Agriculture commissioner Nikki Fried said.
The report reveals that the seats were manually adjusted after the inspection. The sensor showed the harness was safely locked with a 7-inch gap at the bottom, instead of the normal 3 inches.
We’re expecting to get a copy of the lawsuits later this afternoon.
Here’s what we know so far:
The lawsuit said that ICON Park “knew or should have known” from its own tests that those who went on the FreeFall ride would be “subject to unreasonably dangerous and foreseeable risks, and that serious injury and death of the occupants in the ride could result.”
Attorneys also said there were defects in the design, manufacturing, and marketing of the ride.
The lawsuit states that “the subject ride as well as the accompanying manual and warnings were unreasonably dangerous and defective as designed, manufactured and/or marketed taking into consideration the utility of the ride and the risks involved in its use.”
They claim that there were safer alternate designs that “would have prevented or significantly reduced the risk of a rider coming out of the seat and the catastrophic injuries associated with such event.”
©2022 Cox Media Group