ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. - A drunken woman crashed into a family of four near St. Augustine, killing a passenger who was also a sheriff's bailiff, the Florida Highway Patrol said.
The St. John’s County Sheriff’s Office’s website shows that Kim Johnston, 46, was arrested and charged with driving under the influence Sunday.
Johnston was driving on Interstate 95 when she crashed into an SUV carrying a Jacksonville sheriff's deputy, a bailiff and the couple's two children, FHP said.
Troopers said the SUV then swerved into several lanes of traffic before flipping, and Cathy Adams, 43, was ejected from the vehicle and later died.
- Man accused of double homicide denied bail, screams in court
- NASA scientist: Aliens may have already visited Earth
- Rat found inside vending machine at Florida high school
- 'Baby, It's Cold Outside' writer's daughter: Song isn't about rape
- 911 calls reveal panic when alligator attacks 85-year-old man
The driver of the SUV, William Adams, 50, was critically wounded, and the couple's children, age 14 and 16, suffered minor injuries, troopers said.
Johnston remains jailed without bail in the St. John’s County Sheriff’s Office.
- DOWNLOAD: Free WFTV News & Weather Apps
- Not near a TV? Click here to watch WFTV newscasts live
- Watch Live: Doppler 9 HD
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.