3 disturbances being monitored in the Atlantic

ORLANDO, Fla. — Meteorologists are monitoring three disturbances in the Atlantic.

The first disturbance is located over the central Caribbean Sea. The National Hurricane Center said a tropical depression is likely to form late this week or by this weekend as the storm moves near the Yucatan Peninsula.

The storm has a 30% chance of forming over the next 48 hours and a 70% chance of forming over the next five days.

>>> WATCH CHANNEL 9 EYEWITNESS NEWS LIVE <<<

Another disturbance is producing disorganized showers and thunderstorms over the central tropical Atlantic about 1,000 miles northeast of the northern Leeward Islands, the NHC said.

Forecasters said the storm could develop into a tropical depression later this week or this weekend.

See: Tropical system terms explained

It also has a 30% chance of forming over the next 48 hours and a 70% chance of forming over the next five days.

Meteorologists are also watching a tropical wave over the far eastern tropical Atlantic. The disturbance is producing a disorganized area of showers and thunderstorms.

The NHC said it believes some development is possible over the next several days.

READ: Atlantic hurricane season shows no signs of slowing down, NOAA says in mid-season update

The system has a 20% chance of forming over the next 48 hours and a 30% chance of forming over the next five days.

Watch Channel 9′s hurricane special, Calm Before the Storm:


Katlyn Brieskorn, WFTV.com

Katlyn Brieskorn is a Digital Assignment Editor at WFTV. She joined Channel 9 in July 2019.