OSCEOLA COUNTY, Fla. - A former Osceola County substitute teacher who had been accused of inappropriately touching young students molested nine girls at three elementary schools, the Osceola County Sheriff's Office said Thursday.
Detectives had previously said Syed Yaseen Asher, 19, molested six girls, but they said Thursday that he molested nine girls between the ages of 6 and 8 at Boggy Creek, Ventura and Pleasant Hill elementary schools.
"Asher committed his crimes by molesting these children near the teacher’s desk area while he simultaneously distracted the victims by going over classwork," Osceola County Maj. Jacob Ruiz said.
Records said one of the girls approached investigators after seeing Asher's mugshot in a news report.
Asher now faces 15 charges in the case.
The Osceola County School District previously said Asher taught 1,102 students at nine Osceola County schools between December and February. See the full list below:
Boggy Creek Elementary School
- Feb. 21, 2019: Dual language class, 1st grade - 14 students.
- Feb. 28, 2019: Dual language class, 2nd grade - 18 students.
Central Avenue Elementary School
- Jan. 16, 2019: Math and science, 4th grade - 18 students in the morning, 20 students in the afternoon.
- Jan. 23, 2019: 1st grade - 20 students, pre-K lunch and planning - 19 students, KG - 18 students.
- Feb. 6, 2019: 2nd grade - 19 students.
- Feb. 20, 2019: KG - 17 students.
Flora Ridge Elementary School
- Feb. 12, 2019: KG, 21 students.
- Feb. 18, 2019: Math and science, 5th grade - 22 students in the morning, 22 students in the afternoon, six intervention students.
Ventura Elementary School
- Feb. 14, 2019: Music, K-5 grades - 107 students.
Pleasant Hill Elementary School
- Jan. 22, 2019: 5th grade - 18 students in the morning, 22 students in the afternoon, 6 triple I students.
- Feb. 8, 2019: 1st grade - 18 students.
Kissimmee Middle School
- Dec. 18, 2018: STEM Engineering, 6, 7, 8 grades - 137 students.
- Dec. 20, 2018: Math, 7th grade - 101 students.
- Jan. 11, 2019: Band/chorus, 6, 7, 8 grades - 134 students.
- Feb. 1, 2019: Intensive reading, 8th grades - 107 students.
Kissimmee Elementary School
- Jan. 18, 2019: Science and language arts, 5th grade - 63 students.
Parkway Middle School
- Jan. 15, 2019: English language arts, 6th grade - 134 students.
Mill Creek Elementary School
- Jan. 9, 2019: 1st grade - 21 students.
Anyone with information about possible related incidents is asked to call the Sheriff’s Office at 407-348-2222 or Crimeline at 800-423-8477.
#Breaking #Update @OsceolaSheriff says there’s now a total of 9 victims that attended Boggy Creek, Ventura & Pleasant Hill Elementary Schools. @Osceolaschools says school counselors were made available for any kids/families that needed support following Asher’s arrest. @WFTV pic.twitter.com/z5Re4eIoEn— Cierra Putman WFTV (@CPutman_WFTV) May 9, 2019
2 new cases were filed today against former @Osceolaschools substitute teacher Syed Yaseen Asher. He’s now looking at 15 charges. Trying to confirm with @OsceolaSheriff if this means more victims. @WFTV pic.twitter.com/f7ssCNP1Os— Cierra Putman WFTV (@CPutman_WFTV) May 9, 2019
© 2019 Cox Media Group.