Records detail past criminal history of boy, 17, accused of killing Orange County mother in her driveway

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. — A 17-year-old was arrested Monday in connection with the shooting death of an Orange County mother of two the day before Mother’s Day, deputies said.

Ja’Quarius Sentel McCray is facing charges of first-degree murder with a firearm and attempted first-degree murder with a firearm.

>>> CLICK HERE TO STREAM EYEWITNESS NEWS <<<

Detectives haven’t given many details about the arrest, but they revealed it was DNA evidence that helped them link McCray to the case.

Investigators said two men followed Roxana Sanchez to her home just south of Lake Underhill Road and shot her on May 8.

READ: Woman found shot in Orange County neighborhood dies at hospital, deputies say

Surveillance video shows a car following Sanchez and a friend as they entered the Winding Creek subdivision just after 12:30 a.m.

Investigators said Sanchez and a friend had been out shopping earlier in the evening.

They said two males jumped out of the car and shot Sanchez in what they are calling a botched carjacking. Sanchez later died at a hospital.

READ: UPDATE: Teen arrested in shooting death of Orange County mother

Detectives are still looking for a second suspect. Crimeline is offering a $10,000 reward for any information that leads to an arrest of the second man involved in the case.

Records show McCray has a criminal history going back five years to when he was 13.

According to an arrest affidavit, McCray was arrested for armed burglary and other charges after detectives said he and two others broke into a home and stole guns and cash while the homeowner slept back in 2020.

Detectives wanted McCray to be charged with attempted first-degree murder after they said McCray fired at the homewowner, but the state instead charged him with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

READ: Florida police smash window to rescue dog from 115-degree heat

Court records show that McCray was released from jail in March of this year and placed on conditional release after the court declared him incompetent for trial.

His release conditions included: a curfew from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. and no contact with the victim or codefendants. At the time, he said he wanted to move in with his dad in Ocala.

WATCH: ULA launches Atlas V rocket from Cape Canaveral

According to the documents, he was also involved with four other cases dating back to 2016. He was on probation for those until his 19th birthday.

Click here for live updates on this story on Channel 9 Eyewitness News.

Click here to download the free WFTV news and weather apps, and click here to watch the latest news on your Smart TV.

Q Mccray

Q McCray, WFTV.com

Q McCray is an award-winning general assignment reporter.

Katlyn Brieskorn, WFTV.com

Katlyn Brieskorn is a Digital Assignment Editor at WFTV. She joined Channel 9 in July 2019.