Firefighters responding to structure fire in downtown Mount Dora

MOUNT DORA, Fla. — Firefighters shut down roadways in downtown Mount Dora after a fire broke out at a downtown business.

Mount Dora police urged people to avoid the downtown area due to the fire.


City officials said heavy smoke clouds were seen coming from Segway of Central Florida on Alexander Street.

The fire chief said the fire was in a Segway at the Segway shop that wasn’t plugged in. Police said the cause of the fire was due to lithium batteries that created flames that spread to the tires of the Segway.

READ: Slain Instagram influencer Alexis Sharkey’s husband kills self as cops serve murder warrant

Officers said three employees evacuated and called 911. No one was injured.

The chief said the road was blocked off because of the large response due to the building being in the downtown area.

READ: Appliance warranty complaints lead to class-action lawsuit and Action 9 results

Click here to download the free WFTV news and weather apps, click here to download the WFTV Now app for your smart TV and click here to stream Channel 9 Eyewitness News live.

Sarah Wilson

Sarah Wilson,

Sarah Wilson joined WFTV Channel 9 in 2018 as a digital producer after working as an award-winning newspaper reporter for nearly a decade in various communities across Central Florida.