On the eve of comedian Bob Newhart’s 91st birthday on Sept. 5, Channel 9 has compiled nine things to know about the award-winning stand-up comedian and TV star.
- Bob Newhart’s career began while he was working as an accountant in Chicago.
- “The Button-Down Mind of Bob Newhart” was the first comedy album to go to #1 on the charts.
- The “Bob Newhart Variety Show” earned an Emmy and a Peabody Award.
- His next forays into television included “The Bob Newhart Show” (1972-1978) and “Newhart” (1982-1990).
- Newhart has starred in 14 feature films and sold millions of albums worldwide.
- Newhart was awarded the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor in 2002.
- He has also been inducted into the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences’ Hall of Fame.
- Newhart has three siblings; he also has four children with his wife, Ginnie. None of them are in show business.
- In 2013, he won his first Emmy for recurring appearances on the hit show “The Big Bang Theory.”
Cox Media Group