Get ready to enter a cartoon world where Mouse rules apply.
“Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway” officially opens Wednesday in Disney’s Hollywood Studios, and promises to break new ground not just for Disney World, but for theme-park technology.
“You step into our theater where you are here to see the premiere of our all new Mickey Mouse short. All of a sudden, the unexpected happens and suddenly you are stepping through the screen, and Goofy is inviting you along on his cartoon train for a wacky and unpredictable journey,” said Sarah Ramos, project manager for Walt Disney Imagineering.
The immersive ride takes riders through several cartoon short scenes.
Channel 9 got an early spin on the Runaway Railway. See the video below:
After the ride, guests will be able to find merchandise to remember their experience, including a new character named Chubie.
“He is somewhat goofy but very, very cute,” said Katiana Cruz Bermudez with Disney Theme Park merchandise.
Heading to Mickey & Minie’s Runaway Railway? Here are 9 things you should know first:
1. Though they’re the faces of Walt Disney World, this actually marks the first major ride-through attraction starring Mickey and Minnie.
2. The dark ride is located in Disney’s Hollywood Studios and replaces the former attraction, “The Great Movie Ride.” But “Runaway Railway” maintained the previous attraction’s exterior: A replica of the TCL Chinese Theatre in Hollywood. Riders may notice a hidden nod to the original attraction.
3. It is being described as a “first-of-its-kind ride" by Disney, and that it’s “a whirlwind ride through a world where the rules of physics don’t apply.” It will include “unexpected twists, slapstick gags and mind-boggling transformations at every turn, as Mickey and Minnie try to save the day.”
4. The ride will introduce a new story, new theme song and a new experience that Imagineers are calling “2 1/2 D," a new technology that brings a colorful cartoon short to life. No 3D glasses will be required.
5. There is no height restriction, so the whole family can enjoy the ride together.
6. “Runaway Railway” is based on the recent award-winning “Mickey Mouse” cartoon shorts.
7. Unlike other recent Disney attractions such as “Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance," FastPass+ is available for “Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway” -- but they’re going fast and already hard to get.
8. Keep your eyes peeled: According to Disney, there are more hidden Mickeys in this attraction than any other Disney area or attraction in the world.
9. “Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway” is part of a broader transformation happening across Walt Disney World. Read our previous coverage to find out what else is in store for Disney.
© 2020 Cox Media Group