ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. — A new report shows part of The Rialto Apartments shifted downward earlier this month after a three-foot-deep gap opened beneath the complex.
A report submitted to Orange County by engineers reveals the void spans 15 feet wide under two stacks of apartments in the building.
The structural shift prompted more than 350 residents to evacuate the apartments located on Sand Lake Road.
Engineers are now investigating the cause of the gap, specifically looking to see if a sinkhole or other soil issues may have caused the void.
The report explains that the primary gap opened between the concrete slab propping up the building and the soil underneath two specific stacks, 45 and 47.
While that void is the most significant, engineers identified smaller gaps in several other locations throughout the property.
These secondary gaps range in size from half an inch to four inches.
The loss of support beneath the building caused visible structural issues within the units.
Impacted stacks saw floors begin to slope and the shift resulted in several doors becoming jammed.
To stabilize the structure, engineers have ordered temporary shoring work to support the building below the concrete slab. While a timeline for the work is uncertain, engineers said it could exceed 60-days.
This work is intended to prevent further shifting while technical teams conduct more testing.
Civil and environmental engineering professor Kamal Tawfiq, with the FAMU-FSU College of Engineering, has participated in similar assessments several times over the course of his career.
While he is not associated with the Rialto case, he explained the structural damage is a result of “differential settlement,” a condition that can lead to cracking in buildings when there is uneven sinking across the structure.
Tawfiq explained that the specific cause of the voids need to be further investigated, but he said sinkholes or soil erosion may be contributing factors.
“ A sinkhole is a void, but a void is not necessary to be a sink hole,” said Tawfiq, “Sinkholes usually occur because of the weathering in limestone. But voids develop because of erosion.”
Orange County officials confirmed that “no occupancy” signs remain clearly posted at the apartment complex.
The county stated that the building must remain vacant until a full repair plan is permitted and all work passes official inspections.
The property owner Northland, a private real estate firm based out of state, sent channel 9 the following statement:
“The engineering team has been on site every day since March 19 conducting a thorough and painstaking investigation. Yesterday, we delivered to the Orange County Building Inspector the engineers’ letter outlining their initial findings and noting conditions that require further subsurface evaluation. We have shared that letter with residents.
At this time, we do not have a definitive timeline for re-occupancy. However, based on current information, residents can expect this process to take at least two months and may extend beyond that as the work progresses. Residents will not be able to access their apartments while the evaluation and work are ongoing. However, Northland Rialto will continue to facilitate retrieval of personal property to the extent that conditions permit.
We understand this is an extended timeline, and we want to ensure residents have clear options and support as they make decisions about their leases.
For residents who may prefer to maintain their lease while this process continues, we will provide updates as more information becomes available. Rent will not be charged while occupancy remains restricted.
For residents who prefer to move forward with a lease termination, we are offering several forms of support to assist with their transition. These include the option to terminate their lease, packing and moving of belongings to within a 25-mile radius of Rialto, and an additional $2,000. For residents who choose to live at another Northland community, we are offering a two-month rent concession. For residents who choose to accept this assistance, a release of claims will be required as part of that process.
If residents choose to move forward with these options, they may contact our team, and we will provide a lease termination agreement and next steps. Once the agreement is completed, we will connect them with a moving partner to begin scheduling their move.
Residents may also terminate their lease without signing the lease termination agreement and release. If they choose this option, they must notify us in writing. Movers will pack their belongings and coordinate with them to retrieve them.
We recognize how difficult this situation continues to be. While this update provides important information, it also underscores that the path forward will take time. We remain committed to supporting our residents and helping them make informed decisions about their next steps during this challenging period.”
Click here to download our free news, weather and smart TV apps. And click here to stream Channel 9 Eyewitness News live.
©2026 Cox Media Group






