'He's in my house and he has a gun': New audio, timeline from deadly Orlando apartment standoff

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. — Newly released documents from the Orlando Police Department are shedding light on a shooting and standoff that wounded a police officer and left four children and the suspect dead.

Police also released 911 calls, including the initial call from the girlfriend of suspect Gary Lindsey, Jr.

Records show that call was made Sunday, June 10, at 11:43 p.m. from a 7-Eleven store near the Westbrook apartment complex.

The woman told an Orange County dispatcher that Lindsey had struck her, that he owned weapons and that he was in their apartment with four young children.

Read: Long criminal past, rocky relationship led up to shooting of officer, four kids' deaths

“He hurt me, he took my phone, and right now he’s in my house and he has a gun, and there’s four children in the house,” the woman quietly said with a shaking voice.

Download the free WFTV News & Weather apps

At one point, the dispatcher asked the women whether officers should meet her at the convenience store or at the apartment complex.

Dispatcher: “Did you want the officers to meet you there [the 7-Eleven] or at the [Westbrook apartment] complex? 
Caller: “At the place – at the complex.”
Dispatcher: “OK, you want to stay there [the 7-Eleven] where it’s safe, have the officers meet you there as well? Or you want them to send them to the apartment?”
Caller: “To the apartment. I don’t want to leave them alone there too long because he [Lindsey] might do something.”

The caller agreed to have police meet her at the complex’s leasing office.

Listen below: Initial 911 from Westbrook standoff (Source: Orlando Police Dept.)

Documents show officers, including Officer Kevin Valencia, arrived at Westbrook at 11:52 p.m.

Dispatch records show people reported hearing shots from the complex around 1:06 a.m.

One minute later, police at the scene reported that an officer was down.

Read: Wife of Orlando officer in coma: ‘My kids need a daddy. This community needs a real hero'

Orlando police later said the wounded officer was Kevin Valencia, who had suffered a gunshot wound and was rushed to Orlando Regional Medical Center, where he is still recovering 10 days later.

Dozens of people in the area called 911.

Dispatcher: "How many shots are you hearing?"

911 caller: We heard a bunch, I don't know. The cop's down in the grassy area. The cop is hurt."

Read: Orlando police officer shot in standoff breathing on his own, sources say

Dispatch records show SWAT and Orlando police officers spent the next several hours evacuating neighbors, gathering information about Lindsey and trying to establish contact with him.

Records show negotiators were trying to get Lindsey to let the children out of the apartment at 5:17 a.m.

Read: Judge approved deal that kept man in deadly Orlando standoff out of prison, records show

Around 9 p.m. Monday, police established there was still furniture blocking the front door. Within an hour, SWAT team members had breached the apartment via a master bedroom.

Dispatch records show police had found the bodies of Lindsey and the four children at 11:05 p.m.

Video: Family members grieving loss of four children killed during standoff

The dispatch records do not indicate when – if ever – police corresponded with Lindsey. The records indicate a phone call from family and friends who had been in touch with Lindsey.

Orlando police released audio from a phone call from Lindsey’s sister, who said, “He texted a friend before… said he was going to kill himself. Said he was barricaded in an apartment that he shot through a door at a cop, or he didn’t know a cop was there. Anyway, I don’t know if he knew.”

The call from Lindsey's sister came in at about 4:30 a.m., a couple hours after Lindsey's sister received the message and three and a half hours after her brother shot Valencia.

The sister told a dispatcher she called to see if there was anything she or her mother could do to help.

She also told them Lindsey's father had died.

"If this is all shenanigans, which, I cannot believe anyone, I don't want anyone to get in trouble," she said.

When the dispatcher pushed Lindsey's sister for more information about him and his past, she pulled back on what she felt comfortable disclosing.

"I can't imagine this is a joke, but I don't want to say too much and get someone in trouble, you know?" she said.

She went on to say, "I just want to be helpful. If we can be helpful and there's a real situation."

Orlando police announced almost three days after the standoff that evidence suggested the four children were found dead in their beds, and that they had likely been killed in their sleep shortly before or after Valencia was shot.

A Mass will be celebrated at St. James Cathedral Saturday for four children -- ranging in age from 1 to 12 -- whom Lindsey killed during the standoff. The Mass is open to the public.






On Thursday, Channel 9 obtained a three-hour audio recording of a 2010 sentencing hearing for Lindsey, who was released under supervision instead of being sent to prison for setting a house on fire.

"It was an isolated incident based on your prior record or lack thereof," the judge said.

Lindsey could have been sentenced to more than 30 years in prison, but the judge found that he showed remorse.

In court testimony in 2010, Lindsey's ex-girlfriend testified about his violent behavior throughout their more than four-year relationship and the day he burned down her home in 2008.

"Were you in fear that he was going to burn you and the house down?" a prosecutor said.

"Absolutely," he victim said.

Lindsey was charged with domestic battery and arson in the case.

"Words can only begin the express the deep pain I felt for what has occurred," he said.

The judge sentenced Lindsey to 10 years in prison with credit for 123 days he had already served, but just moments later, the judge suspended that sentence.

"I can probably count on one hand how many suspended sentences I've done," he said.

Lindsey was instead placed under community control in part because evidence showed he didn't try to hide the crime.

"It was committed in an unsophisticated manner," the judge said. "It was an isolated incident based on your prior record or lack thereof."

The judge considered testimony from a doctor about how Lindsey's diabetes and thyroid condition impaired his judgment during the arson. The judge ruled that Lindsey would need to repay the victim $35,000 for her loss.

"I find that the need for restitution outweighs the need for prison at this time," the judge said.

Lindsey was a convicted felon because of that 2008 arson case, so he wasn't supposed to have the gun he used to shoot Valencia and to kill the four children and himself earlier this month.

If you or anyone you know is the victim of domestic violence, click here for resources to get help. 

More coverage you can count on:
Read: 'A very tragic, sad ending': No survivors after family standoff

Photos: Scene of standoff where Orlando officer was shot
Read: Community, law enforcement send well-wishes to wounded Orlando police officer
Read: How to cope with fear, sadness after a mass shooting
GoFundMe link for Officer Valencia's medical needs
GoFundMe link for children's funeral expenses

Download the free WFTV News & Weather apps