OSCEOLA COUNTY, Fla. — Disney is up to something. The question is: What?
Property records show the company purchased 965 acres of land southeast of Celebration. The land is the site of B.K. Ranch and sits less than 10 miles away from Walt Disney World.
The $23 million purchase was finalized on Thursday, records show.
- Does Walt Disney World have enough firefighters? Union says no
- Walt Disney World unveils 4-park 'Magic Ticket' for 2019
- An early Christmas present: Couple adopts 7 siblings out of foster care
- WATCH: Seasonal delivery driver, 2 others accused in Lake Mary package-stealing scheme
The newly purchased land sits just north of Intercession City, Old Tampa Highway and Orange Blossom Trail. SunRail's Poinciana station is not far from the site.
Until Disney bought the land, the master plan for the property called for 3,000 homes and nearly 400,000 square feet of commercial and office space.
Disney didn't give specifics about what they'll build there, but a spokesperson said not to expect another theme park.
"This parcel will be used for conservation-related and water management needs," the emailed statement said.
While only time can tell what's in store for the land, the company is in the middle of a building boom at nearby Walt Disney World, which over the next three years will see new rides, expanded theme parks, new resort hotels, and a new transportation system.
Disney's Hollywood Studios debuted Toy Story Land this summer and Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge is set to debut in 2019. The park also has at least four other Disney-owned hotels coming in the next few years, including an immersive "Star Wars"-themed resort, a nature-themed resort, a major expansion to Disney's Coronado Resort, and the new Riviera Resort. Marriott is also planning to build The Cove, a new addition to its Swan and Dolphin resorts.
Disney is also planning to unveil its Skyliner gondola system in 2019. Two new roller coasters -- a new "Guardians of the Galaxy" roller coaster at Epcot, and a "TRON" roller coaster at Magic Kingdom, should arrive in time for Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary in 2021.
MORE THEME PARK NEWS:
- Magic Kingdom temporarily closes two rides as crews build new roller coaster
- See the new hotel joining Walt Disney World's Swan and Dolphin resorts
- Up, up and away: Channel 9 gets exclusive look at Walt Disney World's Skyliner
- New 'nature-inspired' resort coming to Walt Disney World
- Walt Disney World's new ticket pricing structure takes effect
- Epcot's 'IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth' will end in 2019 to make way for new show
- Theme Parks & more Florida fun: Inside Central Florida
Cox Media Group